Namaskar and Welcome to Strawberry Papaya



Why a name like Strawberry Papaya? I'll answer that with a question. Do you have at least one memory – a moment, an event, an impression, a sight, a smell, a taste, a sound, a word – that inscribed itself in your heart, that you can summon at any moment and bring back all the good and warming feels? I do.

As a child, I lived for summer. One of the things that I loved was the Good Humor truck’s evening rounds, when our moms would give us money to buy something sweet and cold. Growing up vegetarian, I periodically ate dairy, but didn't really like it, and often chose dairy-free. My favorite treat was a dreamy ice pop – that sadly, is no longer made – a swirl of clear pink and bright orange on a wooden stick. It was yummy, but in truth it was the colors of the ice pop that captivated me. There was something about that pink and orange swirl I adored, and that today, brings back all the warm, cozy feelings of a childhood spent in summer with my young friends, my family, and the community where I felt safe and free and loved.

Now fast forward to young adulthood. Traveling through the Caribbean right after high school, I was introduced to the intoxicating tropical fruits native to the hot climates. One of them was the strawberry papaya. The sweetest of all the papaya varieties, its flavor is an amalgam of fresh berries and peaches, with a hint of butterscotch and vanilla. Heavenly.

But it was its color that wooed me. When ripe, a strawberry papaya has a bright orange skin and pure pink flesh. The first time I ate one, on the side of a roadway between Ocho Rios and Port Maria, every good, cheering memory of childhood was triggered, and the endorphins flowed. Strawberry papayas became my symbol of all things good: pink and orange, sweet, refreshing, soothing, nourishing, and delicious. All the good feels of childhood were reinforced by the fact that my partner and I were on a moped, on a tear in a beautiful country, young and strong, grateful and happy. The spell was cast.

Strawberry Papaya is going to reach for all those good feels: the moments of meaning, the journeys we’re on, the things that matter, the services we can render, the things we stay alive for. Whole-hearted living. Topics of discussion may include healing and forgiveness, mystery and wonder, purpose and meaning, imagination, our lineage to the Earth, transcending anger, letting go, protecting ourselves and our loved ones from toxic people and situations, spiritual training and wellness, food choices, compassion, and love. I may dwell on specific ideas and personal practices like why you should let your hair grow, eat more fruit, grow from adversity, or sleep on the floor instead of a bed.

I have no interest in website traffic and numbers, only that what I share may be of service to others. I hope you’ll visit now and then and add your thoughts. Let me know if there’s subjects you’d like to see. Tell me if I’m hitting the mark or missing it. Don’t be afraid to criticize. Don’t be afraid to love.

x